Campus Infrastructure Planning Work Group
Revised May 31, 2016
The purpose of this committee is to provide recommendations to the Executive Vice President for Administrative Services and the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs regarding the compliance of campus-wide and project-specific planning and design efforts with the current version of the Campus Master Plan, including the planning principles, recommendations and zoning ordinance contained therein.
The committee is constituted to enhance infrastructure planning, construction and coordination. Infrastructure, as defined, is comprised of above- and below-grade utilities, roads, parking areas, walkways, open spaces and architectural systems.
- Review projects that modify the campus landscape character, affect campus infrastructure, or require a zoning variance prior to Board of Trustee (BOT) action for “Authorization to Plan” (Step 1) and “Authorization to Proceed” (Step 2).
- Assess project compliance with the Campus Master Plan and its campus planning principles. The committee will not address the validity of a particular program as that is the purview of the Provost and the Executive Vice President for Academic Services (EVPAS). However, the committee does require program sponsors to submit appropriate background materials for a detailed assessment of project impacts. This assessment will include, but is not limited to, campus/facility operations, infrastructure modifications and capabilities and safety and security issues. The committee may ask program advocates to clarify or modify their recommendations in accordance with the Campus Master Plan.
- Provide support, for or against, a project moving toward BOT consideration. The committee will provide reference information regarding specific issues for consideration by the EVPAS and the Provost. These issues could be design specific or related to omissions in the planning process.
- Evaluate the proposed communication and coordination strategy at both the “Authorization to Plan”and the “Authorization to Proceed” levels for compliance with the university’s construction project communication procedures. This effort is directed toward promoting the coordination of all the major project stakeholders as well as ensuring the inputs of all essential partners.
- Serve as the steering committee for all future planning efforts to establish policies for campus- and district-level land use.
- Conduct periodic post-completion project evaluations in order to assess committee effectiveness and to enhance future performance.
The committee will be comprised of the following members or a designated representative. Others may be recommended by the committee to the Provost and EVPAS for consideration.
- Assistant Vice President Regulatory Affairs
- Associate Provost for Academic Services and Enrollment Management (Chairperson)
- Athletics Deputy Director Facilities
- Building Process Analyst
- Campus Planner
- Environmental Health and Safety Director
- Executive Vice President for Administrative Services
- Facilities Planning & Space Management Director
- Land Management Director
- MSU Police Chief
- Office of the Provost
- Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities Director
- School of Planning, Design and Constructions Director
- Sustainability Director
- University Physician
- Vice President for Auxiliary Enterprises
- Vice President for Development
- Vice President for Research
- Associate Vice President for Strategic Infrastructure Planning and Facilities
- Vice President for Student Affairs and Services
- Vice President and Chief Information Officer
- Water Research Institute