May 14, 2015
Thursday, May 14 | 8:30 a.m. | MSU College of Law room 471
Construction Junctions are Infrastructure Planning and Facilities’s monthly public meeting designed to update/inform the public of various projects currently in design, nearing construction and under construction.
- Project will be divided into two phases: facility upgrades and athletics addition
- Phase one:
- 22,000 square foot addition around building
- Expansion of concourse, renovate/upgrade restroom facilities, increase fixture count, renovate concessions stands
- Improve entry vestibules to main concourse
- Improve finish levels and experience on concourse
- Improve site conditions for ingress and egress
- Improve site security
- Replace chiller system
- Connect to East Lansing water system
- Phase two:
- 32,000 square foot addition
- Create sense of main entry; destination to the building
- Create Hall of History
- Club / meeting space / restaurant bar
- Means of travel from event level to concourse
- Currently holding athletic addition at schematic design, until funding is available
Timeline (Phase one):
- Construction start: December 2015
- Ready for occupancy: August 2017
Q: What kind of donation are you looking for for the phase 2?
A: We are looking for an estimated $25 million.
Q: Will this affect commencement next year?
A: No this will have no affect on commencement
- Create a living environment that supports both single students and student families around the resources they need to be academically successful
- Create an institutional asset to further our world class land-grant mission
- Consolidate office spaces from across campus, freeing up space for academic programs while saving resources and improving communication
- Create synergies between Residential and Hospitality Services and Intercollegiate Athletics
- 102,000 square foot mixed use office building (LEED Silver): RHS offices, Intercollegiate Athletics offices and retail
- 438,000 square foot student apartments: Single student apartments (Studio, 2BR, 4BR), Family housing apartments (1BR, 2BR)
- Parking (2,075 spaces): Student (apartments), Event\staff, Deck
- Funding Source – auxiliary funds: RHS, Intercollegiate Athletics, and parking
- Construction start: Summer 2015
- Ready for occupancy: Summer 2017
MSU Scene Shop – construct replacement building
- The existing Scene Shop is located on the former State Police Post site, at the corner of Harrison Road and Kalamazoo Street. It will be displaced by the proposed Special Housing needs / Spartan Village redevelopment project and will need to relocate.
- The project will provide permanent space for the Scene Shop, in proximity to Department of Theatre venues
- Replace Scene Shop and related storage located at former State Police Post site
- 12,000 – 15,000 square feet (pole barn type construction)
- Integral component of Department of Theatre course curriculum
- Scene Shop supports construction of sets for Department of Theatre and Music Opera Program performances
- Facility program includes production areas, offices, restrooms; and storage for props, building materials and choral risers
- Proposed site provides proximity to Auditorium Building, Wharton Center and bus line
- Start of construction: July 2015
- Ready for occupancy: December 2015
- Replace existing structurally deteriorating arch steam tunnels from the North Campus Substation to Steam Vault 376 (northeast corner of Library building), some of which are 87 to 102 years old.
- Provide new steam services to Olds Hall and complete the north campus steam loop (which also includes steam distribution work in the NCS).
- Install new electrical duct bank from the NCS to north of Olds Hall and replace deteriorated electrical vault lid by Olds Hall.
- Road reconstruction of West Circle Drive (two 10-foot traffic lanes, one 4-foot bicycle lane) from the east side of the MSU Library to the west side of the Auditorium Road and West Circle Drive intersection. Improve pedestrian, vehicular and bicycle safety.
- Reconfigure Parking Lots 6 and 11 to meet current parking standards.
- Replace deterioratåd ca3t kron water mains and improve fire flow capacity.
- Decommission NCS electrical transformers
- Repair/replace deteriorated sanitary and storm sewer main
- Parking Lot 6 (MSU Museum parking lot) has been reconfigured to meet current parking standards and will result in a loss of eight (total count from 45 to 37) parking spaces.
- Parking Lot 11 (Hannah Administration, MSU Library and Olds Hall) has been reconfigured to meet current parking standards and pedestrian safety. The above improvements will result in a loss of 10 (total count from 127 to 117) parking spaces.
- Major buildings impacted during this phase of construction: Music Building, Music Practice, Intramural Circle, Library, MSU Museum, Olds Hall, Hannah Administration Building, Beaumont Tower
- West Circle Drive will be temporarily closed from the Library/Admin. Entrance to Auditorium Road and limited access (delivery only for approximately eight weeks) from Beal Street to the Library/Admin. Drive. Temporary detour plans and pamphlets/signs will be developed shortly.
- Construction early preparation: March 2015 – May 2015
- Construction begins: May 11, 2015
- West Circle Drive (single traffic lane from MSU Library to Auditorium Road), Parking Lot 6 and access to Parking Lot 11 reopened: July 12, 2015
- All roads, parking and pedestrian/bicyclist pathways reopened: Aug. 14, 2015
- Project designed with open\flexible labs for 33 principal investigators
- Shelled floor for an additional 11 PIs
- Vivarium built to accommodate 44 PIs
- 162,680 gross square feet
- Federal grant helped fund project
- Demolition complete: May 2015
- Construction start: June 2015
- Substantial completion: July 2017
Q: What type of parking will be a this facility?
A: There will be enough surface parking to accommodate the facility
- Training facilities were last updated in the mid-1990s.
- Major technological changes have occurred in training therapy delivery methods since then.
- The installation of modern equipment will necessitate reconfiguration of the existing space.
- The locker rooms in the building are in need of functional, spatial and aesthetic refurbishment, as they no longer reflect Big-Ten-level facilities.
- Training room: Installation of new therapy pools, reconfigure office area, reception/monitoring and treatment spaces.
- Locker room: Reconfigure locker arrangement for a more open layout
and install new lockers, Redistribute ventilation system, Update furniture, finishes and technology.
- Occasional road closures on Shaw Lane during portions of the project due to truck traffic.
- The building will remain open during the project, and alternate routes through the building will be provided for occupants
Start of construction: January 2015
Ready for occupancy: July 2015
- Sidewalk closed from east side of Kresge Art Center to west side of Alumni Chapel on south side of Auditorium Road
- Auditorium Road will be closed for a 6-day period from Physics Road to east entrance of the Baker Hall circle (will be open on weekends)
- Parking on south side of Auditorium Road between Kresge Art Center and Alumni Chapel will be unavailable
- Project Start: May 26
- Project End: July 31
- Consolidate the College of Nursing program in Life Science
- Relocate the Student Media Lab
- Create a new Teaching Collaboration Lab
- Create efficient and appealing workspace
- Bring daylight into the space
- Create an up-to-date media lab for students
- Create a teaching lab for faculty to enhance collaboration
- Construction start: January 2015
- Ready for occupancy: August 2015
Construction Junctions will continue monthly on the second Thursday of every month at 8:30 a.m.
- June 11 - College of Law, room 343
- July 9, College of Law, room 343
- August 13 (TBD)