November 12, 2015
Thursday, November 12 | 8:30 a.m. | MSU College of Law room 343
Construction Junctions are Infrastructure Planning and Facilities’s monthly public meeting designed to update/inform the public of various projects currently in design, nearing construction and under construction.
- In order to support the teaching, learning and research efforts of the newly created Department of Computational Mathematics, Science and Engineering as well as the College of Engineering, creation of new functional offices in the Engineering Building is needed.
- Renovation of suite 1515, including creation of a second floor within the space to facilitate the program
- Creation of an office suite for the department chairperson and staff, including a workroom
- Twenty-five faculty offices, three visiting scholar shared offices, ten post doc workstations, one hundred twenty graduate assistant workstations and one academic specialist office
- Shared space to include conferencing areas, collaboration enclaves and study rooms
- Library will be permanently closed and study space relocated to another part of the building (east wing).
- Pedestrian access to courtyard from the south will be restricted through construction.
- Short duration crane lift activity to bring new equipment into the mechanical penthouse.
- Construction start: Jan. 1, 2016
- Ready for occupancy: Aug. 1, 2016
2015-16 campus snow communications
It’s snow season. Be snow safe!
- Don’t rush – give yourself time to get to work
- Drive carefully
- Dress warmly
- Wear sensible shoes
- Watch where you are walking
- Shorten the length of your stride while walking
- Check the forecast before heading outside
- Do not dart out in front of or behind snow-removal equipment. It is large, loud and difficult to stop quickly.
- Make eye contact with a snow-removal equipment operator before crossing in front of him/her.
Salt and ice-melt compound
- Dial 353-1760 to report icy spots on campus.
- It takes time for the ice-melt compound to take effect
Sidewalks and parking lots
- Do not park so close to the sidewalk that your car’s bumper hangs over it.
- Avoid parking in the part of a lot that has not yet been cleared.
- Park where it’s plowed or wait a few minutes for the driver to finish and then park freely in the cleared lot
Residence hall parking loops
- Parking is prohibited in residence hall loops between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m.
- With 65 people plowing, 26,000+ spaces must be cleared before 6 a.m.
To request services or to report dangerous spots on campus, call 353-1760.
If you can’t call, tweet IPF (@MSUFacilities) to report snow concerns (and to send photos).
For more information on MSU’s snow-removal plans, visit ipf.msu.edu.
- Snow and ice removal services: http://ipf.msu.edu/services/snow-and-ice-removal.html
- Green practices for snow removal: http://ipf.msu.edu/green/practices/snow-removal.html
E-mail feedback, suggestions and comments to email@example.com.
- The existing Scene Shop location is being utilized as part of the 1855 Place project, and thus requires relocation of the shop to another site.
- Replace Scene Shop and related storage located at former State Police Post site
- 10,000 square feet (pole barn type construction)
- Integral component of Department of Theatre course curriculum
- Scene Shop supports construction of sets for Department of Theatre and Music Opera Program performances
- Facility program includes production areas, offices, restrooms and tool room
- Start of construction: October 2015
- Ready for occupancy: December 2015
Q: Is there any plan for bike parking?
Life Science - convert rooms A128, A131 and A131A to a REAL classroom
- To develop a room for engaged and active learning that:
- enables lively interaction
- enhanced learning
- increased faculty and student engagement
- Demolition and abatement of existing walls, ceilings
- and flooring
- Furring out of walls
- Installation of new ceiling with new LED lighting
- New flooring installation
- Painting of walls
- Technology updating
- Installation of new audio/visual equipment
- IPF manufactured and installed the new casework
- Corridor pedestrian traffic during asbestos abatement and demolition
- Containment area was staged in hallway
- Actual abatement work was performed off hours within the space
- Construction start: June 24
- Project completion: October 26
- Enhance existing main north entrance
- Recognize the MSU College of Law history - and its origins as the Detroit College of Law. The College intends to name the new entry the DCL Plaza.
- New entry canopy
- New outdoor seating area, which replaces some bike parking
- Relocation of two limestone friezes from Detroit, along with historical and donor recognition plaques
- Improvements to lighting, wi-fi, pavement and landscaping are planned.
- Construction deliveries and minimal walk construction were required; intermittent single lane short-duration closures along west-bound Shaw Lane were required
- Pedestrians were affected intermittently by shifting crosswalk locations for short durations; the main entrance to the building was not closed
- Only the canopy area will be barricaded for safety during final detailing work through November
- Construction start: August 2015
- Project completion: November 2015
Q: How much bike parking was lost?
A: 5 loops
To enhance the student, alumni, fan and public experience by improving the functionality of the Events Center
Create a lasting legacy by integrating a sense of Spartan tradition throughout the facility
Extend the useful life of the building by improving services to the fans and implementing major maintenance items
- Project will be divided into two phases: facility upgrades and athletics addition
- Phases will be designed in a way that allows minimal rework
- Phases will be fully coordinated throughout design and construction
- Phase one:
- 22,000 square foot addition around building
- Expansion of concourse, renovate/upgrade restroom facilities, increase fixture count, renovate concessions stands
- Improve entry vestibules to main concourse
- Improve finish levels and experience on concourse
- Improve site conditions for ingress and egress
- Improve site security
- Replace chiller system
- Connect to East Lansing water system
- Phase two:
- 30,000 square foot addition
- Create sense of main entry; destination to the building
- Create Hall of History
- Club / meeting space / restaurant bar
- Construction start: January 2016
- Ready for occupancy: August 2017
Q: Will there be any additional bike parking?
A: Yes, near the south parking lot
Construction Junctions will continue monthly on the second Thursday of every month at 8:30 a.m.
- December 10 (College of Law, room 343)
- January (stay tuned for some exciting changes!)
- February (stay tuned for some exciting changes!)