October 11, 2012 Meeting
Thursday, October 11 | 8:30 a.m. | 112 Brody Hall
Construction Junctions are the Physical Plant’s* monthly public meetings designed to update/inform the public of various projects currently in design, nearing construction and under construction.
- Morrill Hall is located on West Circle Drive
- Plan to start demolition in May 2013
- Before demolition, several trees will be taken out and relocated but some will remain.
- There will be some road and sidewalk closures. For more information on these closures check the detour page.
Q: Will the oak inside of Morrill be preserved?
A: Yes. We will preserve the wood that can be salvaged. The university can sell it.
Q: What is the timeframe of the project?
A: Demolition is slated to start on May 6. Asbestos abatement will be done prior to that. We will move in the building sometime after the semester break.
- The project is currently on schedule for completion.
- Project will be substantially completed on Dec. 14 and the dining hall will be open at the start of spring semester.
- No more lane closures are expected for this project.
- Stakeholders were involved in design of the loading dock.
- Curtain wall (wall of windows) facing the river is complete.
- Mechanical and electrical work is complete.
- Resonance flooring is done for the venues in Shaw Hall
- The casework for venues is starting to be delivered this week.
- Ceiling elements are being added in dining area.
- After seats and flooring were removed, a 25-foot scaffolding system was set up inside the theatre.
- The scaffolding holds up a floor so that the ceiling can be reached.
- When the project is finished, the space will be very tall and open.
- The northeast corner will have an elevator.
- A new barrier-free access will be available.
- Theatre in the basement will become mechanical space.
Q: How many seats will the auditorium hold upon completion?
A: Seating count will remain the same. This is in compliance with fire code.
- There will still be a Biggby Coffee in the Union.
- When it reopens, the Union will have an information desk.
- The Union will reopen Nov. 9.
- On track for Nov. 9 opening
Q: Was the completion date adjusted?
A: Yes, it has been pushed back a bit from its original due date.
*Prior to the creation of Infrastructure Planning and Facilities in January 2013, several IPF departments were a part of the now-dissolved MSU Physical Plant. Some historical articles on this website reference that former unit.