Project phase: Construction
The RHS Strategic Plan identified family housing and apartment-style housing as important to the MSU mission. However, various facilities which have met these needs in the past are no longer available. The Cherry Lane and Faculty Bricks apartments were demolished in 2011 after exceeding their life expectancy. The apartments located at Spartan Village have outlived their useful life, and repair, maintenance, and renovation have become cost-prohibitive. The Board previously authorized the Administration to proceed with the demolition of certain parts of Spartan Village. Present plans calls for the remaining Spartan Village apartments to be removed within several years after the opening of the new housing.
The project is located on the former Michigan State Police Post site, on the corner of S. Harrison Road and E. Kalamazoo Street, within both the residential district and the service district (proposed to be mixed-use north district).
- Create a living environment that supports both single students and student families around the resources they need to be academically successful
- Create an institutional asset to further our world class land-grant mission
- Consolidate office spaces from across campus, freeing up space for academic programs while saving resources and improving communication
- Create synergies between Residential and Hospitality Services and Intercollegiate Athletics
- The largest component of the project focuses on family and student housing.
- It includes approximately 300 units in 10 buildings and almost 1000 beds.
- The project also includes a 102,000 square foot mixed use office building, which will:
- make it possible to consolidate RHS offices distributed across campus
- consolidate the offices for various units in the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics
- centralize event ticketing sales
- add new RHS retail space
- Existing visitor and event parking will be reconfigured and expanded
- providing 880 spaces in a two-story structure
- with an additional 1,200 surface spaces
- The construction will take place in two phases.
- Phase one will include the family housing and parking structure, which will open in summer 2016.
- Phase two will include the single student housing and the mixed-use office building, which will open in summer 2017.
- RHS and Intercollegiate Athletics staff will move into their new offices between September 2017 and January 2018.
- Pedestrian detours around site work will be in place through the project duration. This detailed map outlines detour impacts and project phasing.
- Construction start: August 2015
- Parking Ramp 7 open: April 2016
- Family Housing Units ready for occupancy: August 2016
- Single Student Housing Units ready for occupancy: August 2017
- Retail spaces open: August 2017
- Office spaces open: October 2017
Questions, comments, concerns?
- Andy Linebaugh, project representative, firstname.lastname@example.org, (517) 432-7103