Biological Safety Level-3 Research Laboratory
Project phase: Planning/Design
- Through its ongoing academic and capital planning efforts, the University has identified a need for additional Biological Safety Level-3 (BSL-3) research laboratory capacity.
- Harmful pathogens have emerged in recent years that affect both animals and humans and are a cause for concern for the health of the nation and world.
- MSU has had limited engagement in the study of these types of pathogens. However, recent faculty hires intentionally increase the University's ability to study these types of pathogens.
- At present, MSU currently supports such research within two modular containment trailers, and they are at capacity.
- To support the current growth of research in this area, additional BSL-3 capacity is needed.
- The project is anticipated to evaluate potential locations for installation of a modular unit or renovation of existing space that can accommodate and support near-term BSL-3 laboratory needs.
- The preliminary project cost estimate $1,500,000-$2,500,000. This estimate may change as the project and its scope are refined during the planning process.
- The source of funds for the project is expected to be from the College of Veterinary Medicine, AgBioResearch, and the Office of the Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies and/or debt financing with debt repayment from the above referenced units.
- Brian Mullen, project manager, (517) 353-3112, firstname.lastname@example.org