Biochemistry - replace power service - capital renewal
Project phase: Planning/Design
- The Biochemistry Building opened in 1964.
- The primary switch and substation equipment are original to the building, and have passed their life expectancy.
- The transformers contain PCB's and the potential exists for site contamination if an electrical failure occurs.
- MSU EHS recommends this upgrade due to the potential hazards involved with PCB-containing transformers.
- Removal and proper disposal of PCB containing transformers.
- Removal and replacement of the entire building service entrance. This includes the medium voltage cables and switchgear, two substations and their respective four transformers.
- Temporary power will be provided for facility occupants during the transition.
- Construction start: May 2019
- Construction end: Aug. 2019
- $1,300,000-$1,400,000 (preliminary estimate)
- Source of funds is expected to be the general fund - capital renewal.
- Chris Barnes, project manager, (517) 355-1628, firstname.lastname@example.org