Brody Hall Renovation
Project phase: Archived
Brody Hall is located on Harrison Road in the Residential District. Through its strategic planning process, the Division of Residential and Hospitality Services identified the seven facilities that comprise Brody Complex, constructed from 1954 through 1956, as needing major renovation. Brody Hall is the first priority building in the complex. This facility provides food service for the six residential halls in the complex, and will need to remain operational throughout renovation.
Brody Hall is a two-story building consisting of approximately 138,000 square feet that serves the needs of approximately 2,400 residents. The space includes dining, kitchen/preparation, dry storage, refrigerator and freezer space, dish handling, waste and recycling areas. More than 181,000 square feet of multi-purpose classroom space, computer instruction and academic office space is located in the building, which also includes business offices for the complex.
The project involved:
- An approximately 9,000-square-foot addition to the existing building at the front entrance that will include a grand staircase to the second floor and a mechanical addition to the west.
- Upgrades and replacement of all major mechanical, electrical, ventilation, and life-safety systems;
- ADA-code-required modifications;
- Passenger elevator installation;
- Asbestos abatement;
- Lighting upgrades;
- Flooring and ceiling replacement;
- Roofing and exterior repair;
- Office and bathroom reconstruction;
- All new security;
- New furnishings, and other related improvements;
- Entire second-floor dining area was reconstructed to feature nine restaurant venues.
This project was LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified.
- Construction began in January 2009
- Substantially complete for second-floor dining in July 2010
- Open to students in August 2010
- First-floor to be substantially complete in July 2011
- Open to students in fall 2011
Impacts to pedestrians, bikers, motorists:
- Pedestrians were re-routed around the construction zone.
Questions, comments, concerns?
- Leisa Williams-Swedberg, email@example.com, (517) 432-9685
- Andy Linebaugh, firstname.lastname@example.org, (517) 432-7103