I.M. Sports East – phase one - gym and track renovations (Healthy Campus Initiative)
Project phase: Construction
- Health and wellness is a priority of the MSU campus community, as reflected in the Bolder by Design Framework and the Health Campus Initiative.
- Consistent with that priority, the University invests in and supports a wide range of recreation and fitness activities, programs, and facilities that are accessible to students, faculty, and staff.
- The level of demand, an aging infrastructure for the three primary intramural facilities, and an emphasis on creating and supporting a culture of health and wellness resulted in the need to undertake a strategic planning effort.
- Over the past two years, efforts have been made to develop a broad-based approach to enhancing recreation and fitness opportunities.
- The Provost initially established an exploratory committee with representation from students, faculty, staff, and external advisors to guide and inform planning. Following this exploratory committee planning, consultants were engaged to assist with the development of a health and wellness framework plan to guide reinvestment that supports the Healthy Campus Initiative.
- Projects that include reinvestment in existing intramural facilities, including fields, and Demonstration Hall were identified as priority improvements.
- These improvements will replace systems and finishes that are beyond their useful life, provide additional capacity, and improve the user experience.
- Removal of the interior running track wall and installation of a handrail system to open the track area to the gymnasium below
- Replacement of the existing track running surface
- Installation of window film on the exterior windows around the running track
- Replacement of the block wall separating the two gymnasiums with a motorized roll-up curtain divider wall
- Installation of new LED lighting, including emergency lighting
- Construction start: May 2018
- Ready for occupancy: August 2018
- $2,150,000, including a $215,000 contingency
- The project will be funded by the general fund - healthy campus initiative or debt financing with debt repayment from the general fund - healthy campus intiative.
Questions, concerns or comments?
- Scott Gardner, project manager, (517) 432-0782, firstname.lastname@example.org