IM Sports - West - replacement of indoor turf surface in room 161
Project phase: Construction
- Recreation and fitness is a priority of the MSU campus community, as reflected in the Bolder by Design Framework and the Health Campus Initiative.
- Consistent with that priority, the University invests in and supports a wide range of recreation and fitness activities, programs, and facilities that are accessible to students, faculty, and staff.
- The level of demand, an aging infrastructure for the three primary intramural facilities, and an emphasis on creating and supporting a culture of health and wellness resulted in the need to undertake a strategic planning effort.
- Over the past two years, efforts have been made to develop a broad-based approach to enhancing recreation and fitness opportunities.
- The Provost initially established an exploratory committee with representation from students, faculty, staff, and external advisors to guide and inform planning.
- Following this exploratory committee planning, consultants were engaged to assist with the development of a health and wellness framework plan to guide reinvestment that supports the Healthy Campus Initiative.
- Projects that include reinvestment in existing intramural facilities, including fields, and Demonstration Hall were identified as priority improvements.
- These improvements will replace systems and finishes that are beyond their useful life, provide additional capacity, and improve the user experience.
- Conversion of room 161 into an indoor artificial turf center for club sports, intramural sports, student use, and other campus activities to include:
- installation of a new artificial turf flooring system
- replacement of existing doors and installation of nine additional egress doors to accommodate campus/emergency operations
- installation of ceiling circulation fans
- fire suppression system
- upgrade of existing HVAC units
- installation of a lacrosse practice throwing wall and netting system
- installation of a motorized roll-up curtain wall in the middle of the room
- installation of an LED lighting system including emergency lighting
- painting of walls and ceiling
- miscellaneous architectural, mechanical and electrical items
- Construction start: March 19
- Ready for occupancy: Aug. 17
- $4,300,000 ($3,300,000 for turf improvements and $1,000,000 for capital renewal), including a $430,000 contingency.
- The project will be funded by the general fund or debt financing with debt repayment from the general fund - healthy campus initiative.
Questions, concerns or comments?
- Jason Van Zee, construction representative, (517) 432-2675, firstname.lastname@example.org