North Campus Infrastructure Improvement – West Circle Drive 2015
Project phase: Archived
The North Campus arch-style steam tunnels are 87 to 102 years old and have significantly deteriorated. The structural anchors, pipe supports, and steam equipment within these tunnels are severely deteriorated and require replacement or repair for safe and reliable operation of the steam distribution system. Communication lines are in the same tunnels as steam and condensate return lines, which is not optimal. The existing electrical duct bank is currently full, requiring additional ducts be installed for future electrical improvements to this region of campus. This project is the final segment of a four-segment program.
- Project includes replacing the deteriorating north campus steam tunnels and building service leads.
- Increasing the steam distribution mains to the region.
- Increasing steam line capacity and converting the condensate return from a vacuum system to a pressure return.
- Upgrading the steam service to all buildings in the project area.
- Removing the vacuum return system from the north campus substation.
- Reconstructing West Circle Drive from the Main Library to the intersection of Auditorium Road in accordance with the campus master plan, providing appropriate vehicular, pedestrian and bicyclist safety improvements.
- Reconfigure Parking Lots 6 and 11 to meet current parking standards
Replace deteriorated cast iron water mains and improve fire flow capacity.
- West Circle Drive will be temporally closed from the MSU Library/Hannah Administration entrance to Auditorium Road. There will be limited access (delivery-only for approximately eight weeks) from Beal Street to the MSU Library/Hannah Administration drive.
- Temporary detour pamphlets/signs will be distributed/posted shortly.
- Local town-hall meetings are being held.
- Parking Lot 6 (MSU Museum parking lot) has been reconfigured to meet current parking standards and will result in a loss of eight (total count from 45 to 37) parking spaces.
Parking Lot 11 (Hannah Administration, MSU Library and Olds Hall) has been reconfigured to meet current parking standards and pedestrian safety. The above improvements will result in a loss of 10 (total count from 127 to 117) parking spaces.
This project is centered along West Circle Drive from the MSU Library to the intersection of Auditorium Road.
Construction early preparation: March 2015 – May 2015
Construction begins: May 11, 2015
West Circle Drive (single traffic lane from MSU Library to Auditorium Road), Parking Lot 6 and access to Parking Lot 11 reopened: July 12, 2015
All roads, parking and pedestrian/bicyclist pathways reopened: Aug. 15, 2015
- Parking info: MSU Police, (517) 394-2282
- CATA Spec-Tran (during building operation hours): (517) 394-2282
Questions, comments, concerns?
- Scott Gardner, email@example.com, (517) 432-0782
- Andy Linebaugh, firstname.lastname@example.org, (517) 432-7103