Olin - Student Wellness Center
Project phase: Planning/Design
- Olin Health Center was built in 1939 and is the primary health care facility for MSU students. It houses a wide variety of health care services, including primary care and specialized health services such as psychiatry.
- During 2016 an action committee comprised of leadership and staff from Student Health Services, Psychiatry Services, and the Counseling Center, as well as members of faculty, was charged with developing a strategy to integrate the University's counseling and psychiatric services for students.
- The committee recommended establishment of a new multi-disciplinary, inter-professional model of care and services for students that brings together not only Psychiatry Services and the Counseling Center, but also the Sexual Assault Program (SAP) and Student Health Services, including primary care and health promotion.
- Based on this recommendation, the University is moving forward with a unified service model called "Student Health and Wellness".
- As the overall project planning began, it quickly became clear that the renovations at Olin would require a phased approach.
- Phase one involves clearing the third floor of Olin with interim moves and then renovations necessay to house CAPS on the third floor by the start of the Fall Semester 2017
- Additional renovations at Olin necesary to implement the rest of the new service model will be brought back to the BOT for authorization to proceed.
- Planning for future phase(s) of the project will begin in early fall, following completion of phase one.
- Physical co-location of the Counseling Center, Psychiatry Services and the SAP in the Olin Health Center to provide an appropriate continuum of care for students.
- Integration of expanded counseling, psychiatric, and sexual assault services with primary care services.
- Phase one includes renovations to the third floor of Olin necessary to bring together the Counseling Center and the Psychiatry Clinic and form CAPS.
- This includes selected demolition and asbestos abatement, along with creation of:
- Additional offices
- Therapy rooms
- Waiting areas
- Public restrooms
- HVAC modifications
- Flooring, painting, power, data and security updates
- Phase one also includes very limited modifications at Olds Hall, Linton Hall and Student Services necessary to locate CAPS on the third floor of Olin.
- Construction start: TBD
- Construction completion: TBD
- Phase one - $3,600,000 which includes a contingency of $360,000.
- The source of funds for this project is expected to be the general fund - Healthy Campus Initiative.
- Amr Abdel-Azim, project manager, (517) 432-0323, email@example.com