Swine Teaching and Research Center - addition
Project phase: Planning/Design
- The Animal Industry Act requires pregnant female swine (sows) to have larger-sized pens by April 1, 2020.
- This change creates a significant need for research on group sow housing management under this production paradigm, which requires additional facilities at the MSU Swine Teaching and Research Center to maintain industry relevance.
- As planning begins, the project is anticipated to include construction of an addition to accommodate sow housing pens, including ventilation, feeding, and manure handling operations, while maintaining animal/personnel movement within the contained facility.
- It is anticipated that the planned improvements will alter the footprint of the existing facility.
- Construction start: TBD
- Ready for use: TBD
- Based on cost experience for similar projects and current pricing information, the cost of the project is expected to be less than $1 million. This estimate may change as the project and its scope are refined during the planning process.
- The source of funds for the project is expected to be Animal Agriculture Industry Research and Development Grant, AgBioResearch and MSU Extension.
- John Lefevre, project manager, (517) 884-6740, email@example.com