Wilson Road extension
Project phase: Construction
Wilson Road Extension project updates
Nov. 20, 2018
A ribbon cutting ceremony for the Wilson Road Extension Project will be held at 1:15 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 20 at the intersection of Wilson and Conrad Roads. Parking is available in Lot 112.
Nov. 15, 2018
The construction team has been dodging low temperatures and precipitation this week, but the final level of pavement, traffic paint and signage is on track for what will now be a Monday, November 19 opening of lot 33 at East Fee and a Tuesday afternoon opening of Wilson road to Hagadorn.
The road opening was pushed back to coincide with the Ribbon Cutting which will be Tuesday, November 20 at 1:15, invitation attached, and all are welcome.
The traffic signal at Wilson and Hagadorn will not be put into use right away. The signals are ready but, until they can be connected to the railway, activating them would cause an unsafe situation. We could be waiting for as long as April or as soon as December.
In the meantime, an interim traffic control plan focused on safety will be implemented. The Wilson - Hagadorn intersection will function as a one way stop. Eastbound Wilson will have a stop sign with right turn only. Hagadorn will be thru traffic as it is today. And, Southbound Hagadorn traffic will be allowed to make a U-turn to go north, possibly as soon as this afternoon.
Thank you for your patience.
Nov. 13, 2018
The construction team has been working diligently to make up for the lost three weeks in September. However, with temperatures dipping into the low 20's this week, quality asphalt paving is not possible. Therefore, parking and roadways will be open Monday. Nov. 19. We thank you for your patience.
Nov. 8, 2018
On Monday, Nov. 12, contractors will install the final course of asphalt on the new Wilson Road. This process will cause intermittent closures of the sidewalk from Lot 91 over the railroad tracks, with flag control in place. Pedestrians may have to pause briefly and wait for the paver to pass and the roller to make a few passes over the asphalt to compact it before they will be allowed to walk across it. The pedestrian detour route out to Hagadorn will be open during this time if users prefer to walk around the site rather than wait.
Nov. 1, 2018
Beginning Friday, Nov. 2, the sidewalks in the area between East Fee and South Hubbard Halls will be removed (see area in graphic circled in purple). New sidewalks will be installed and reopened by Nov. 15 (weather permitting). Unfortunately, there are no good options for pedestrian detours around this area, and so pedestrians are asked to avoid this area until new sidewalks are available.
Oct. 24, 2018
On Tuesday, Oct. 30 and Wednesday, Oct. 31 (weather permitting), the fenced pathway providing access over the train tracks from Parking Lot 91 to Fee Hall (center) will be closed. A barrier-free, signed pedestrian detour along Hagadorn Road will be in place. During this time, contractors will remove and replace the concrete sidewalk between the new eastbound Wilson Road and the railroad tracks.
Oct. 15, 2018
On Wednesday, Oct. 17, Hoffman Brothers will close the temporary gravel parking lot (just east of the driveway to the Fee Hall loading dock) and re-encompass it back into the worksite. This gravel lot will remain closed for the remainder of the project. Additional faculty/staff parking spaces were recently made available in Lot 112 in front of Conrad Hall, which should help offset the loss of the spaces in the gravel lot.
There will also be at least two more brief closures of the temporary sidewalk across the railroad tracks in the coming month, for concrete sidewalk/curb replacement and asphalt paving. The closure durations and timing will be weather dependent. Barrier-free, signed pedestrian detours will be in place during these temporary closures.
The Hagadorn Road Detour to the River Terrace neighborhood, as described in the detour graphic, will begin on approximately Oct. 22 and end by approximately Nov. 15.
- There is only one major campus entrance (Shaw Lane) on Hagadorn Road north of Service Road. This creates added vehicular traffic through a busy pedestrian and bicycling area. The intersection is also very close to the intersection of Hagadorn Road and Grand River, which is one of the busiest intersections in the state.
- The current intersection is not coordinated with the CN rail line, creating further traffic complications.
- The lack of traffic signals along Shaw Lane east of Farm Lane creates accessibility concerns.
- Fee Road and Wilson Road (from Conrad Hall to Shaw Lane) along with the parking lots 30 and 32 (south of Fee Hall) are in poor condition and approaching the end of their useful life.
- As part of the necessary removal of some campus trees to accommodate the project, IPF's Landscape Services department is working collaboratively with the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources - Department of Forestry to use laser scanning technology in assessment of tree architecture, value and risk of failure.
- Reconfiguration and reconstruction of Wilson Road, Fee Road and Parking Lots 30 and 32
- New traffic light intersection at Hagadorn Road that will be integrated with railroad signals
- New traffic light at the intersection of Shaw Lane and current Wilson Road (to be renamed Conrad Road)
- Improve water distribution in the region
- Vehicular, pedestrian, and bicyclist safety improvements
- Improved ADA crossings and compliance
- Tree removal to begin: December 2017
- Construction start: March 2018
- Road opened: TBD
- $11,100,000, with a $1,110,000 contingency
- The project is being partially funded by a grant from the Michigan Department of Transportation through the City of East Lansing, capital renewal funds and auxiliary activities - parking.
Questions, concerns, comments?
- Dave Wilber, project manager, (517) 884-2186, email@example.com