Construction Junctions are Infrastructure Planning and Facilities’s monthly public presentations designed to update/inform the public of various projects currently in design, nearing construction and under construction.
2016-17 campus snow communications
It’s snow season. Be snow safe!
- Don’t rush – give yourself time to get to work
- Drive carefully
- Dress warmly
- Wear sensible shoes
- Watch where you are walking
- Shorten the length of your stride while walking
- Check the forecast before heading outside
- Do not dart out in front of or behind snow-removal equipment. It is large, loud and difficult to stop quickly.
- Make eye contact with a snow-removal equipment operator before crossing in front of him/her.
Salt and ice-melt compound
- Dial 353-1760 to report icy spots on campus.
- It takes time for the ice-melt compound to take effect
Sidewalks and parking lots
- Do not park so close to the sidewalk that your car’s bumper hangs over it.
- Avoid parking in the part of a lot that has not yet been cleared.
- Park where it’s plowed or wait a few minutes for the driver to finish and then park freely in the cleared lot
Residence hall parking loops
- Parking is prohibited in residence hall loops between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m.
- With 65 people plowing, 26,000+ spaces must be cleared before 6 a.m.
To request services or to report dangerous spots on campus, call 353-1760.
If you can’t call, tweet IPF (@MSUFacilities) to report snow concerns (and to send photos).
For more information on MSU’s snow-removal plans, visit ipf.msu.edu.
- Snow and ice removal services: http://ipf.msu.edu/services/snow-and-ice-removal.html
- Green practices for snow removal: http://ipf.msu.edu/green/practices/snow-removal.html
E-mail feedback, suggestions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parking - Lot 63 - Breslin
- Parking Lot 63, located south of the Breslin Student Events Center, was constructed in 1989.
- The pavement structure has deteriorated to a point that full replacement of the existing lots is required.
- In addition, the current west entrance and traffic flow from Harrison Road needs improvement
- Takes more space than is necessary
- Is a safety concern
- Reduces the available spaces in the lot
- Full-depth replacement of parking lots 63E and 63W
- Expand parking count by 80 spaces
- Convert both lots to pay by plate kiosks
- Improve access to the Breslin Student Events Center loading dock for truck traffic
- Improve vehicle access from Shaw Lane and Harrison Road
- Lots will be closed during construction
- Temporary lane closures on westbound Shaw Lane and northbound Harrison Road
- Construction start: June 2017
- Ready for use: August 2017
- The project is located in the city of Grand Rapids in the North Monroe neighborhood as part of the "Medical Mile"
- The project site abuts both Michigan Street and Monroe Avenue and has additional land available for possible future additions
- The project will create a bio-medical research building which wil build on the success of MSU parnerships and medical education in west Michigan
- Project designed with open\flexible labs for 33 principal investigators
- Shelled floor for an additional 11 PIs
- Vivarium built to accommodate 44 PIs
- 162,680 gross square feet
- Federal grant helped fund project
- Demolition complete: May 2015
- Construction start: June 2015
- Substantial completion: July 2017
- Create a living environment that supports both single students and student families around the resources they need to be academically successful
- Create an institutional asset to further our world class land-grant mission
- Consolidate office spaces from across campus, freeing up space for academic programs while saving resources and improving communication
- Create synergies between Residential and Hospitality Services and Intercollegiate Athletics
- 102,000 square foot mixed use office building (LEED Silver): RHS offices, Intercollegiate Athletics offices and retail
- 438,000 square foot student apartments: Single student apartments (Studio, 2BR, 4BR), Family housing apartments (1BR, 2BR)
- Parking (2,075 spaces): Student (apartments), Event\staff, Deck
- Funding Source – auxiliary funds: RHS, Intercollegiate Athletics, and parking
- Construction start: Summer 2015
- Ready for occupancy: Summer 2017
To enhance the student, alumni, fan and public experience by improving the functionality of the Events Center
Create a lasting legacy by integrating a sense of Spartan tradition throughout the facility
Extend the useful life of the building by improving services to the fans and implementing major maintenance items
- Project will be divided into two phases: facility upgrades and athletics addition
- Phases will be designed in a way that allows minimal rework
- Phases will be fully coordinated throughout design and construction
- Phase one:
- 22,000 square foot addition around building
- Expansion of concourse, renovate/upgrade restroom facilities, increase fixture count, renovate concessions stands
- Improve entry vestibules to main concourse
- Improve finish levels and experience on concourse
- Improve site conditions for ingress and egress
- Improve site security
- Replace chiller system
- Connect to East Lansing water system
- Phase two:
- 30,000 square foot addition
- Create sense of main entry; destination to the building
- Create Hall of History
- Club / meeting space / restaurant bar
- Construction start: January 2016
- Ready for occupancy: August 2017