Munn Ice Arena Expansion
- Munn Ice Arena opened in 1974.
- In addition to being the home of MSU Hockey, it also hosts classes, club sports, sports camps and public skating opportunities.
- The building has fallen behind its peers, particularly for team operations.
- It is lacking in team meeting space, operational areas and energy efficiency.
- The building does not have an appropriate presence for a facility that hosts 6,800 guests.
- This project, which includes a 35,000 square foot addition, will create a new public "front door" to Munn Ice Arena.
- The project provides:
- gathering spaces outside and around the building
- team meeting spaces
- new training facilities
- improvements to community skate operations
- memorabilia displays to embrace and celebrate MSU Hockey history and success
- expanded and relocated hockey operations and coaching offices from the basement to the renovated first floor
- improved quality of the varsity lockers, fitness and weight facilities in alignment with other recently completed collegiate hockey venues.
- The project will also address needed infrastructure and energy improvements.
- Construction start: June 2019
- Ready for occupancy: December 2020
- $18.8 million, including a $1 million contingency.
- The project will be funded by non-general funds and gifts to Intercollegiate Athletics and/or debt financing with debt repayment from the above sources.
Construction Junction progress update
Capital project number