Munn Ice Arena Expansion
- Munn Ice Arena opened in 1974.
- In addition to being the home of MSU Hockey, it also hosts classes, club sports, sports camps and public skating opportunities.
- The building has fallen behind its peers, particularly for team operations.
- It is lacking in team meeting space, operational areas and energy efficiency.
- The building does not have an appropriate presence for a facility that hosts 6,800 guests.
- This project, which includes a 35,000 square foot addition, will create a new public "front door" to Munn Ice Arena.
- The project provides:
- gathering spaces outside and around the building
- team meeting spaces
- new training facilities
- improvements to community skate operations
- memorabilia displays to embrace and celebrate MSU Hockey history and success
- expanded and relocated hockey operations and coaching offices from the basement to the renovated first floor
- improved quality of the varsity lockers, fitness and weight facilities in alignment with other recently completed collegiate hockey venues.
- The project will also address needed infrastructure and energy improvements.
- Construction start: June 2019
- Ready for occupancy: Due to university response to COVID-19 outbreak, portions of the project's scope will be indefinitely delayed.
- $18.8 million, including a $1 million contingency.
- The project will be funded by non-general funds and gifts to Intercollegiate Athletics and/or debt financing with debt repayment from the above sources.
- Feb. 2020 budget update:
- The project has encountered several items that have contributed to an increased cost. The scale of the project, challenges of working through an active hockey season, concealed existing conditions that were worse than anticipated and soils that were not able to support the addition without a different structural solution have all been contributing factors.
- The Board of Trustees has approved a budget increase of $3.4M, with an additional contingency of $210,000. The project will also include $825,000 in capital renewal.
Construction Junction progress update
Capital project number