Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about Hidden Lake Gardens. Have a question that's not answered here? Contact us.
- Are pets allowed at Hidden Lake Gardens?
Yes, well-behaved pets are welcome at HLG! To keep the gardens and grounds beautiful and to maintain a safe and comfortable environment for all pets and visitors, pet owners must adhere to the following:
- Pets must be always tethered on a leash of no more than six-foot length.
- Pet waste pick up and disposal is expected of pet owners in all areas of Hidden Lake Gardens.
- Pets are not permitted in garden bed areas and must remain on paths, trails, lawns, or paved roads and walks.
- Pets are not permitted in Hidden Lake or the pond.
- Pets are not permitted in the Visitors Center, Gift Shop, Conservatory and Sky Walk.
- Are visitors allowed to swim in Hidden Lake?
No, visitors and pets are not allowed to swim, wade, fish or ice skate in Hidden Lake or the pond. We encourage you to explore Hidden Lake Gardens through walking, biking, and (in the winter) sledding!
- Is photography allowed at Hidden Lake Gardens?
Yes, with a few guidelines:
Amateur photography: Yes! You can take photos with your phone or camera.
Professional photography: Photography activities such as family portraits and senior, engagement, and wedding photos are permitted at HLG. Professional Photographers are expected to become a member of the Friends of Hidden Lake Gardens at the Sponsor level ($100). For information on memberships please visit the Memberships page. The Sponsor level of membership does provide free admission to photographers and their clients or guests for one full year and is renewable annually.
- Photographers and their clients must check in at the Gatehouse or Visitors Center.
- Neither photographers nor subjects are permitted to enter garden beds, seasonal decorations, or plant display areas.
- Plants, containers, chairs, benches, signs, labels, and decorations shall not be moved to accommodate photographic activity.
- Use of glitter, confetti, paper streamers, balloons, etc., is prohibited in any part of Hidden Lake Gardens, both indoors and outdoors.
- Photographers and their clients are expected to comply with any directives given by HLG staff or be subject to dismissal from HLG.
Note: Professional photography is not permitted in the Conservatory, Visitors Center, and all other buildings.
- Can I use my drone at Hidden Lake Gardens?
No. The use of drones (unmanned aerial systems) on Hidden Lake Gardens property for photography, videography, or any other purpose is prohibited per Michigan State University policy and Ordinance 9.01 and 9.02.
- Does Hidden Lake Gardens offer tours?
Tours are available on a limited basis and subject to staff availability. Please call for more information.
- Can I host an event at Hidden Lake Gardens?
Hidden Lake Gardens is offering room rentals, meetings and programs on a limited basis. We are unable to schedule any weddings at this time. Please call for more information.
- What else is there to do while I'm in the area?
Visit the Lenawee County visitor's guide website for events, restaurants, things to do, places to stay, a travel guide, and more!