Michigan State University’s Infrastructure Planning and Facilities (IPF) plans, builds, maintains and beautifies the physical environment in support of Michigan State University’s education, research and outreach missions, and directs the university’s long-term infrastructure planning goals. The unit’s experienced team of 1,000 professionals keep MSU running by supporting the infrastructure needs of the university and providing expert analysis for university objectives.
IPF Key Responsibilities
- Building Maintenance: Maintenance of MSU’s 564 buildings comprising 24.8 million square feet to ensure a safe, accessible, comfortable learning and research environment. Work responsibilities include electrical, lighting, HVAC services, plumbing, roofing and more.
- Construction and Real Estate Management: Construction and maintenance of MSU facilities, including space renovations, equipment installation and interior design, as well as management of university property sales and leases.
- Custodial Services: Cleaning of MSU’s interior environments to ensure Spartans’ safety in classrooms, lab spaces, personal offices and suites, restrooms, hallways, athletic facilities, and residence and dining halls. Specialized staff within Custodial Services perform pest control services and coordinate campus events put on by student, university and other groups.
- Landscape and Grounds: Maintenance and stewardship of MSU’s campus, 1,822 acres of developed park, including roads and sidewalks, parking lots and ramps, bike paths and golf courses. Additional responsibilities include litter control, lawncare, snow removal, signage placement, and tree and shrub maintenance.
- Power and Water: Management of the supply of electricity and steam used to power MSU campus infrastructure, and provisioning and monitoring of all campus water needs.
- Surplus & Recycling: Management of waste as a resource by the organization and sale of reusable items, and the sorting and processing of recyclable materials.
- Vehicle Fleet: Management of MSU’s fleet of more than 400 vehicles including charter bus services, vehicle rental and full-service auto repair.
Our mission, vision, and values guide our efforts to build the future MSU.
We are committed to fostering diversity and excellence in our workforce.
MSU Manual of Business Procedures
The MSU Manual of Business Procedures outlines the guidelines and policies used to govern MSU’s operations. It is administered by the Controller's office and MSU units.
Learn about sections we manage: