Manual of Business Procedures – vehicle and transportation services, section 245

I. Licensed motor vehicle policy

A. Overview: Michigan State University owns and operates licensed motor vehicles necessary to conduct university business.

B. Responsibility: All Michigan State University-licensed motor vehicles are within the responsible purview of the Transportation Services department of Infrastructure Planning and Facilities. Transportation Services will arrange for obtaining new vehicles, disposing and reassigning of old or surplus vehicles, securing and maintaining the necessary titles and licenses, performing proper maintenance, maintaining required service records, ensuring fleet safety standards, and other required fleet management responsibilities.

C. Ownership: Passenger vehicles (i.e., sedans, SUV's, passenger vans, etc.) may be rented daily or leased from the Transportation Services department. Special-use vehicles, such as service trucks, may be leased or be department owned.

D. Authorization: Daily rental of a vehicle requires a University Travel Request in the Concur system approved by an authorized department approver or fiscal officer of the account being charged.

E. Identification: University vehicles will bear municipal license plates, university decals and visible unit numbers.

F. Usage: Operators must comply with University Travel Regulations (Section 70) and must operate vehicles legally and in a manner that does not detract from the public image of the university. As a general policy, there is to be no personal use of the university vehicles.

G. Vehicle service and repair: The Michigan State University vehicle service and repair policy is established in the interest of occupant, vehicle and highway safety. All university vehicles licensed for operation on public roads are required to have vehicle maintenance and repairs performed at the Transportation Service Garage or by a licensed repair facility that employs State of Michigan licensed mechanics and/or ASE-certified mechanics. Copies of all maintenance, repair and safety inspection records are to be forwarded to the Transportation Service Garage for inclusion in the central file.

II. Motor pool

The Motor Pool, located in the Central Services Building, is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

A. Daily rental: Customers may reserve cars, SUV's, mini-vans, vans, trucks and other vehicles (telephone (517) 353-5280). An approved Travel Request in Concur and valid driver license are required to pick up a vehicle.

B. A cancellation fee may be assessed when vehicle reservations are not cancelled at least 24 hours in advance.

C. Long-term lease: Long-term use of a vehicle may be arranged with a Request for Long Term Lease of a University Vehicle Form. Specific questions should be directed to the Motor Pool at (517) 353-5280 or

III. Charter bus service

A. General information: The University Charter Bus Service, located in the Central Services Building, is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Those who wish to charter a university bus should do so as far in advance as possible. Charter bus service can be arranged in person or by telephone (517) 353-5280, fax (517) 353-4510, e-mail ( or mail.

B. A cancellation fee may be assessed when charter reservations are not cancelled at least 48 hours in advance.

IV. Campus bus and special transportation services

A. Campus bus and special transportation services are provided by the Capital Area Transportation Authority. Such services include daily transit buses, evening fixed bus route service, later-evening demand response buses, parking shuttle and paratransit buses. Questions regarding these services should be directed to CATA. CATA is located at 4615 Tranter Drive, Lansing, Mich., and can be reached by telephone at (517) 394-1100 or Fax (517) 394-3733.

B.  Specific questions regarding paratransit bus services may also be directed to MSU's Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities (telephone: (517) 353-9642). For information about using employee MSU ID cards as bus passes, visit the ID Office website.

V. Service Garage

The Service Garage is located on the east side of Spartan Stadium. Office hours are from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Available products include motor oils, antifreeze, and other parts and accessories. Available services include oil changes, lubrication, tune-ups, front-end alignment, vehicle washing, wheel-balancing, wrecker service, body work, major repairs, etc. The Service Garage also sends monthly maintenance reminder reports to vehicle owners. Customers may schedule appointments or arrange other services by telephone (517) 355-1868, Fax (517) 355-1738, e-mail ( or mail.

VI. Fuel services

Michigan State University operates 24-hour, automated self-serve gasoline, diesel fuel and propane autogas pumps at the Service Road Fueling Station (409 Service Road). Questions regarding fuel service may be directed to the Service Garage at (517) 355-1868, Fax (517) 355-1738 or e-mail at

VII. Inventory

The MSU Capital Asset Management department maintains a listing of vehicles for insurance purposes (See Manual of Business Procedures, Section 224).

VIII. Insurance

A.  University vehicles are covered under the University Insurance Policy (Section 35). A copy of the vehicle registration, current insurance information, and required vehicle accident report forms (accident kit) should be carried in the vehicle glove compartment at all times. Additional forms are available from the Transportation Services Department.

B.  A supplemental collision and comprehensive Vehicle Protection Plan (VPP) is also available from Transportation Services. Call 517-353-5280 for additional information. This supplemental coverage enables the vehicle owner to pay an annual fee and reduce collision deductible from $5,000 to $500. Coverage is included on Motor Pool-leased vehicles.

IX. Driver licensing and medical certification

To legally operate Michigan State University vehicles, state and federal law requires that employees possess the appropriate vehicle operator license and, in some cases, medical certification.

A. When a person operates a vehicle on an infrequent basis or when a vehicle is used to assist in accomplishing assigned duties (i.e., a professor driving to an off-campus course; a plumber driving to an assignment), it is considered incidental duty and a basic Operator (driver) License is all that is required.

B. When the reason for a person being an employee is to operate a vehicle, irrespective of size, to perform a job or provide a service (i.e., a bus driver; a garbage-truck operator), it is considered primary duty and a Chauffeur License is required.

C. State of Michigan law requires that any person, irrespective of whether driving is an Incidental or Primary Duty, operating a vehicle with more than 10,000 lbs. gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or a vehicle towing a unit with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more must carry a medical certificate. Supervisors shall arrange medical certification at departmental expense through the Olin Health Center or a university-referred physician for off-campus employees.

D. Furthermore, irrespective of whether driving is an Incidental or primary duty, federal law requires that an employee must obtain and carry with them a Commercial Driver License (CDL), with appropriate endorsements, if they operate:

  1. A single vehicle having a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more.
  2. A combination of vehicles having a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, towing vehicles not more than 10,000 pounds GVWR.
  3. A vehicle towing another vehicle with a GVWR over 10,000 pounds.
  4. A vehicle designed to carry 16 or more people (including the driver).
  5. A vehicle carrying hazardous materials in such amounts that placarding is required.

E. Obtaining and maintaining Vehicle Operator Licenses, Chauffeur Licenses and Commercial Driver Licenses is a personal expense and the responsibility of the employee. Verification of licensing and medical certification is the responsibility of the employing department. Where the duties of a position necessitate vehicle operator licensure and medical certification, departments should reflect this requirement on the position requisition form to ensure that vacancies are posted with appropriate job requirements. Departments are also responsible for ensuring that these requirements are met on an ongoing basis.

F. Additional information and clarification regarding licensing required for operating university vehicles may be obtained from any office of the Secretary of State or the Transportation Services department, (517) 353-5280.

X. Alcohol and controlled substances testing

Federal law specifies that every person who operates a commercial motor vehicle and is subject to the Commercial Driver License requirement is also subject to alcohol and controlled substances testing. University policy and procedures governing such testing may be found in the Human Resources Policy and Procedures Manual.

XI. Vehicle licensing and registration

University vehicles are licensed in accordance with the Vehicle Policy and State of Michigan law. License, registration, and title records are maintained at the Transportation Services department. License plates may not be altered, removed, transferred or destroyed without coordinating with the Transportation Services department.

XII. Vehicle lease, purchase and ownership

Requisitions for vehicle purchase should be submitted to the MSU Procurement department prior to September of each year so that the university may obtain the maximum fleet purchase discounts available. Requests for vehicle lease should be submitted to the Motor Pool with as much advance notice as is possible. Questions pertaining to lease and purchase policies may be directed to the Transportation Services department (517) 353-5280 and the MSU Procurement department (517) 355-0357, as appropriate.

XIII. Vehicle delivery, transfer, sale or disposal

Delivery of new vehicles, transfers between departments, and sale or disposal of vehicles is coordinated by Transportation Services where appropriate decals are installed or removed in accordance with university policy, license plates are assigned or removed, and fleet administrative and maintenance records are updated as required. Ownership lease and transfer of vehicles will be as specified in paragraph I, Licensed Motor Vehicle Policy. University vehicles will be sold or traded, whichever is most advantageous. Normally, sale of vehicles will be through the MSU Surplus Store. Questions regarding the specific process may be directed to the Transportation Services department (517) 353-5280.

XIV. Vehicle safety/inspections

A.  University vehicles licensed for operation on public roads are required to be serviced and maintained in accordance with Transportation Services guidelines. All university vehicles must undergo an annual inspection by the Transportation Service Garage unless otherwise arranged by Transportation Services. Only university departments with a full-service vehicle maintenance facility which employ State of Michigan or ASE certified mechanics may provide repairs, maintenance, and inspections in compliance with this policy. Michigan State University department-owned vehicles stationed outside of the greater Lansing/East Lansing area have the option of facilitating a preventive maintenance and inspection program with a licensed repair facility in their region. All maintenance and inspection records must be forwarded to the Transportation Service Garage for inclusion in the central files. Fax (517) 355-1738 or mail to: Michigan State University, Transportation Service Garage, 058 Stadium Road, East Lansing, Mich., 48824.

B.  The annual vehicle inspection shall focus on areas that directly affect its safe operation, including steering, tires, brakes, glass, lights, emission systems, horn and other safety related items. The licensed inspector will provide a written, signed report of all items inspected, including the date, name of facility and inspector, vehicle make/model and identification number, and mileage, along with notations of any safety or maintenance items requiring repair. Provided there are no safety-related faults, it shall be deemed to have passed the inspection and may be returned for normal use. Correction of any safety related item(s) as determined by the Motor Vehicle Inspection Manual must be repaired by the Transportation Service Garage before the vehicle is released to the operating department. Unless waived, an estimate of the total cost will be provided before repairs are performed. Vehicles assigned to departments with normal business operations outside of greater Lansing/East Lansing area are required to adhere to this policy with a licensed repair facility in their region following manufacturers’ guidelines for safe operation.

C.  Transportation Services uses manufacturers’ specifications as well as state and federal regulations as guidelines for the Motor Vehicle Inspection Manual. A copy of the manual is available for perusal at the Transportation Service Garage main office. An automated preventive-maintenance system is available through the Transportation Service Garage, which contacts designated department personnel by e-mail when required safety inspections, and/or oil change maintenance are due. For questions pertaining to the preventive-maintenance system or scheduling information, contact the Transportation Service Garage main office by phone at (517) 355-1868.

D.  Failure to comply with the service, maintenance, and inspection requirements of this program may result in suspension of driving privileges of university vehicles, increased insurance charges, and/or loss of the university vehicle.

XV. Vehicle recalls

Manufacturer vehicle recalls should be coordinated with the Service Garage to assure maintenance records are updated. Departments may take the vehicle to a dealer for repairs or request Service Garage assistance.

XVI. Gasoline credit cards

Fleet purchase credit cards are made available for use when purchasing off-campus fuel for Motor Pool vehicles to minimize university expense. Major oil company credit cards for department-owned vehicles may be requested from the MSU Accounting Office (517) 355-5000. Contact Transportation Services (517) 353-5280 to obtain or vehicle fuel cards for use in the university 24-hour, self-service fuel system.

XVII. Vehicle and travel expense reimbursement

Reimbursement for travel-related expenses should be processed as outlined in Section 70 of the Manual of Business Procedures. Many reimbursements for expenses associated with Motor Pool lease vehicles may be made immediately at the Motor Pool. Questions should be directed to the Motor Pool (517) 353-5280.

XIII. University class field trips

A variety of Motor Pool vehicles are available to lease for field trips. Field Trip Policy is outlined in the Manual of Business Procedures, Section 25.

XIX. Vehicle service charges

Charges for vehicle and transportation services appear on the monthly departmental IPF billing statement and the University Fund Ledger. Questions regarding billing statements may be directed to IPF Support Services (517) 355-3375.

XX. Emergency assistance

Emergency vehicle assistance may be obtained by calling (517) 353-1760. If necessary, these numbers may be telephoned "collect."

XXI. Information

Information and assistance pertaining to university vehicle operation or transportation services may be obtained from the Transportation Services department (517) 353-5280.