Budgeting and Billing
Your bill can be accessed monthly for the longevity of a project. To read your bill
- Go to Customer Statements
- Provide an account number along with the start Billing Period From and end Billing Period To dates.
- Your screen will then display all project numbers and work orders that have charges billed to that account for that specific month.
Our Power and Water team is responsible for generating and distributing utilities to campus facilities, including electricity, steam for heating and cooling, water and sewer services. Natural gas services are provided by Consumers Energy. Some buildings on north campus have water service provided by the City of East Lansing. Our campus utility billing site allows you to examine your utility usage, empowering your stewardship of MSU's resources.
- Our Utility Billing users guide offers you a detailed and comprehensive guide to navigating the Campus Utility Billing site and using the cost and consumption data.
Our 'How to find utility data by building' guide gives you a step-by-step guide to finding campus utility data by building.
We provide estimates at no-charge to help you make fiscally responsible decisions. Our estimates should not be used as a firm or final budget.
To request your estimate
- Submit an online service request
- Answer Yes to the question Is this an estimate request?
- You will have 60 days to approve or deny the estimate
If your estimate is approved, we will create a work order using the account number you provided
If your estimate is denied, we will cancel your work request.
Our financial system mandates an account number for all work orders, regardless of funding coverage.
If your service is covered by general funding, we will change the account number according to the appropriate general fund account.
If your service is not covered by the general fund, we will notify you accordingly. You will have the opportunity to decline our service or move forward as planned on the account number of your choosing.
We maintain facilities and landscapes used by academic or administrative departments that are supported by the university's general fund. This includes most permanent facilities of the main campus. Facilities with other funding sources, such as grants or self-supporting enterprises, are not IPF funded service areas.
Facilities excluded from IPF funding
- Residence Halls
- Intercollegiate athletic facilities
- Medical clinics
|Items funded by IPF|
|Plumbing, heating, air conditioning and ventilation|
|Interior and exterior of buildings|
|Electrical repairs of all types including primary and secondary systems|
|Hardware, locks, keys, closers|
|Utility distribution systems inside buildings — electrical, heating, process steam, water lines, gas lines and sewer lines (storm and sanitary)|
|Floors, refinished (annually, as needed)|
|Carpets, cleaned (annually, as needed)|
|Landscape maintenance (mowing, pruning, mulching, etc. Not including installation or plant replacements)|
|Snow and ice removal|
|Maintenance of surfaces such as roads, bridges, sidewalks, building entrances, bike paths, and terraces, as well as the upkeep of parking lots and ramps|
|Items NOT funded by IPF|
|Through-wall or window air conditioners|
|Laboratories and associated equipment and related utility piping|
|Carpeting and draperies|
|Distilled water systems|
|Compressed air systems and other air supply systems not intended for building environmental (heating and ventilating) control|
|Movable classroom seating|
|Data and telephone systems|
|Wire, fiber optics and wireless media needed to support data and telephone systems|
|Office carpet cleaning or hard floor refinishing|
|Building use outside of normal hours|
|Additional frequencies of service|
|Office move out detail cleaning|
Customer Service Bulletins
You can reference the table below for important dates corresponding to each billing period.
|Billing Period||Payroll Cutoff||All Other Charges||Available in EBS|
|July 2021||July 3||July 21||July 24|
|August||Aug 14||Aug 22||Aug 25|
|September||Sep 11||Sep 21||Sep 24|
|October||Oct 9||Oct 20||Oct 22|
|November||Nov 6||Nov 17||Nov 22|
|December||Dec 4||Dec 19||Dec 22|
|January 2022||Jan 15||Jan 19||Jan 22|
|February||Feb 12||Feb 20||Feb 23|
|March||Mar 12||Mar 22||Mar 25|
|April||Apr 9||Apr 20||Apr 23|
|May||May 7||May 18||May 21|
|June||June 18||June 23||June 24|
PROFESSIONAL AND DESIGN SERVICES
IPF Planning, Design and Construction is primarily a self-supporting department responsible for all construction on campus.
- IPF Professional Services rate is 5 percent of the total project budget to cover the costs of project management. This charge will be called “IPF Professional Services” on customer statements.
- For projects under $1 million, IPF will be charging 7 percent of the total project budget to cover the costs of design services rendered. This charge will be called “Design Consult” on customer statements.
- For projects over $1 million, IPF Professional Services rate is 3.75 percent of the total project budget. IPF also hires architectural design and engineering services which will charge actual costs to the project. The charge for design services will appear under the name of the consultant on the customer statements.
We build cutting-edge facilities designed in collaboration with you to build a better future. Visit Renovations and Improvements to learn more about our services.